And the casserole ...

And the casserole ...
A Roman Catholic priest, a Baptist minister and a Methodist lay preacher die and go to heaven. They are met at the gates by St. Peter who tells them that, before they can enter, they must bring something with them that represents their faith.
St. Peter asks the Roman Catholic what he has brought and priest shows him his rosary and says, 'I have said my prayers using my rosary every day.' St. Peter replies, 'Enter my son.'
St Peter asks the Baptist what he has brought and the minister shows him his Bible and says, I have lived my life by the Bible every day.' St. Peter replies, 'Enter my son.'
St Peter asks the Methodist what he has brought with him and the Methodists says,'I've brought a casserole.'

Sunday, 3 May 2020

Fourth Sunday of Easter The Shepherd's Voice


Fourth Sunday of Easter

The Shepherd’s Voice

‘Therefore, Jesus said again. “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate, who ever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”’

John 10.7-10

The cacophony of voices that compete for our attention today can be overwhelming; to whom do we listen, in whom do we trust, who do we follow? Not all are intent on our welfare; some seek only their own selfish interest and would do us harm. Our wellbeing is far from their thoughts; they are the thieves and robbers of the fulfilled lives we seek. Steer clear of them, however appealing they might appear to be.

In contrast, the clear strong voice of Jesus Christ has the authority of one who is appointed by the Creator and Parent of us all. Here is a Messiah and we recognise him by the response our heart makes. When we hear his voice, we follow him in love and trust.

We have discovered how unfulfilling materialism is. The thieves and robbers that have led us to believe in the values of this world, wealth – fame - power, have lied to us, deceived us, taken from us and left us for dead. Jesus calls us today to follow him and in him, and only him, will we find life that is abundant, fulfilled and joyful; a wholeness which we will find nowhere else.

              Jesus the Lord said, ‘I am the Shepherd,
              the one true Shepherd of the sheep am I.
              The one true Shepherd of the sheep am I,
              the one true Shepherd of the sheep am I’.
              Jesus the Lord said, ‘I am the Shepherd,
              the one true Shepherd of the sheep am I.

                             Anonymous.

He is risen indeed. Hallelujah!

The Methodist Church provides worship and devotional resources at www.methodist.org.uk
wholeness, world, wellbeing,

No comments:

Post a Comment